Connect, reconnect and network with local business professionals and entrepreneurs
It is important to network, you will hear this hundreds of times from coaches, recruiters, leaders, and colleagues. Why? Because about 85% of good jobs are found because of networking leads. Can this networking success work for you? Only if you choose to network the right way and not the wrong way.
The golden rule: “Be genuine and helpful”
Wrong Ways to Network:
1. Only network when you need work
2. Connect with someone only to ask for a favor or lead
3. Not offering to help
4. Not following up
5. Rejecting a connection because they don’t offer anything you need at the moment
6. Never meet in real life
Right Ways to Network:
1. Keep meaningful contact and engage genuinely. Listen, read articles, get to know a little about them and their industry.
2. The true goal of networking is to build relationships and not just get leads and other people’s contact lists.
3. Give a little helpful encouraging advice when you can.
4. Keep in touch, follow up at least once a month. Share ideas and helpful news and keep your connections alive.
5. It is a small world, people know people who know people. You just never know.
6. Meet in person at gathers or events, catch up, share news, and get to know each other.